Monday, March 11, 2024

Print Component Research

Hey everyone! 

Today we are going to be looking at the print component for the A-Level Portfolio Project. It's a magazine spread! I started off by looking at magazine article conventions! This link was super helpful: Conventions.

Magazine Conventions:
- Headings
- Sub-headings
- Composition: grid structures, balance, use of white space, lead in, drop cap, pull quote
- Page numbering
- Design elements: color, graphics, engaging layout for target audience (TA)
- Text, Image, Graphics: combined, they are meant to create meaning for the TA


I also wanted to take a look at two professional examples to get inspired:

VOGUE MAGAZINE


Summary of content: Vicki Woods found an undereye cream that works miracles to rejuvenate skin.


Analysis of techniques:
- Headline: The mirror effect worked really well with the concept of "Seeing Double." It also helped make the image stand out more.

- Lead in: Very engaging. Poses an interesting question about getting rid of eye bags and features subject, Vicki Woods.

- Drop cap: The drop cap fit the headline perfectly. It did not use the same effect (which is good otherwise it would have been too much), but still caught my attention and fit the theme. However, I think it was too big. I don't think the drop cap should be larger than the headline.

- Composition: There is a very clean layout. There is only one picture, and it takes up the entire second page, while the first page is mainly content. I would have liked to see a pull quote to help engage the audience.

- Page numbering: Bottom left corner.

- Design elements: The magazine layout worked well for Vogue's TA. Vogue is a fashion magazine for beauty enthusiasts. Clean layouts and dull colors are very "in."


How this example has inspired me: 
I really like the clean layout of this magazine. It has a very professional feel to it, despite the funky font and picture. I feel that the clean layout will appeal to my TA: Latin-Americans around age 38. 

I like that the picture on the second page had a solid background, it allowed more focus on the subject. For my second page, I want to have a picture of all of the Latin-Americans that will be featured in Season 1 of my episodic documentary.

What really caught my eye about this piece was the font and mirror effect that they used for "Seeing Double." I thought it was really creative, and if it fits the theme, I will definitely use an eye-catching and effect font like this one. The drop cap also fit the headline perfectly while being slightly different, I will keep this in mind when choosing my drop cap.



FORBES MAGAZINE
Summary of content: Forbes' 30 under 30 section recognizes young innovators working to change the world. In this article, the criteria for the 30 under 30 list is shown, alongside recognizes the judges and some of the young innovators themselves.


Analysis of techniques:
- Headline: Bold. 30 under 30 is a yearly feature in Forbes, and a huge honor, so the bold nature of the title is important.

-Sub-heading: above the heading, short, yet informative.

- Drop cap: Smaller drop cap than in Vogue. I like this one more. It leads you into the story without being too aggressive. 

- Composition: Forbes does not have as clean a layout as Vogue. It is more dynamic and will draw the attention of their TA, entrepreneurs and businessowners. There is the meat of the article, a "Criteria" section, an "Our expert judges" section, and a page dedicated to some of the 30 under 30 list with descriptions. This is more captivating for readers.

- Design elements: Forbes main colors are red, black, and blue, which was very apparent through this article. I especially liked the red background for the image, it made the subjects pop. I also liked that the judge section had images of the judges, it made the section more engaging. The red box wrapping the subheading matches well with the red background on the next page and I love the frame the first page has.


How this example has inspired me:
I really like the layout of this Forbes article. I will definitely be using a solid background and dedicating an entire page to our Latin-American subjects. I like that there is a sub-heading and that it is wrapped in the same color as the solid background on the following page, if we incorporate a subheading, it will look similar to this one. I also like that the "Criteria" section has bullets, we may also incorporate this, so that there is more than just a large body of text. Overall, I believe our magazine spread will more closely resemble Forbes but will have elements from Vogue as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

The episodic documentary, "Make it Happen," works to develop a better understanding of immigrant’s experiences in the United State...